I recently saw this recipe in the Guardian probably my favorite British newspaper. It has become a favorite in our house. Its easy to make and is a good recipe to feed a crowd. I made this when family came to visit.
Moqueca de peixe
Fish poached in coconut milk with peppers, lime and coriander.
- 4-6 cod fillets or any white fish
- 4 tomatoes, sliced
- 2 green peppers, deseeded and sliced in rings
- 2 yellow peppers, deseeded and sliced in rings
- one red onion sliced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 400 ml coconut milk - one can
- 1 lime
- 2 handfuls coriander leaves, chopped
- a little pinch of red chili flakes
- Salt and black pepper, to taste
- 1 cup of defrosted prawns
1 Heat the oil in a saucepan over a medium heat and add the onions and peppers. Cook for 10 minutes, or until the onions are soft and translucent.
2 Arrange the tomatoes on top, then add the coconut milk and cilantro, salt and black pepper. Cook, without mixing or stirring, for about 5 minutes.
3 Add the cod and prawns to the pan on top of the peppers and onions, and cover with a lid. Simmer gently for 5-7 minutes, until the fish is just cooked. Serve with vegetables and rice or crusty bread.