Today is the last and final day of the Secret Recipe Themed Reveal. The themed reveal is something that was started orginally to make up for the extra Monday that some months have. This is because no Secret Recipe Club reveal would normally have posted that day. Today’s reveal theme is Fall Dishes. We made these Caramel Walnut Ritz Cracker Bites for our Halloween party and they were a huge hit!
My themed reveal blog was The Pajama Chef, written by Sarah and filled to the brim with delicious recipes! It was a tough choice this month because she had so much deliciousness going on. Almost immediately when I started looking at her blog, I fell in love with the S’mores Bundt Cake which is similar to something I make. But alas, it was a former Secret Recipe Club recipe, so I had to move on. My bucket list will show you that I have the desire to try making soft pretzels and haven’t yet. When I found her Bite Size Big Thumb’s Up Soft Pretzels, again I was like… oh yes! However time was more of an issue with this one, plus I suppose they aren’t very Fall-ish. I finally settled on her version of Linda’s Caramel Ritz Bits Crackers that she made from The Potluck Club Cookbook.
I really didn’t want to change the recipe up too much from it’s original. Since I was taking it to a Halloween party, I did want to “Halloween-ify” it. Is that a word? No? It’s is now. I had a whole family size box of Ritz Crackers in my pantry that was 17.8ounces, just shy of the 18 ounces of crackers the recipe called for. So I used that instead. I also broke up some of the crackers so there would be some smaller pieces as well.
I drizzled some melted Wilton Orange Candy Melts over the top and sprinkled the finished serving bowl with some Halloween sprinkles. Those two things are NOT necessary for this dish. As I mentioned, I made this for a party we were going to. That’s why I decided to make it a little more festive. Plus our themed reveal day was Fall or Halloween. I’m also pretty sure that if you wanted to, you could add a little spice to the final mixture and create different variations of the Caramel Walnut Ritz Cracker Bites. For instance, Apple Pie Spice or Pumpkin Pie spice added just before pouring the mixture over the crackers. I am seriously considering trying this because I want to see if it works. In the meantime, I am sure you’d just like the recipe for this version of the Caramel Walnut Ritz Cracker Bites.
Caramel Walnut Ritz Cracker Bites – So EASY!
- 18 ounces or 2 9 ounce boxes of any type of Ritz Crackers, Ritz Bits Crackers or Buttery Pretzel Rounds Munchables
- 1 cup chopped walnuts or any other nut you desire
- ½ cup butter
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup light corn syrup
- 1 teaspoon vanilla
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- orange candy melts, if desired
- sprinkles, if desired
- Preheat oven to 250 degrees.
- Prepare a large, shallow baking pan by greasing it well. (the candy mixture really sticks, so be sure to coat it well)
- Place the crackers and nuts in the pan and mix them together.
- In a saucepan on the stove, melt the butter.
- Add the sugar and light corn syrup and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Allow to boil for 5 minutes.
- Remove from heat and stir in the vanilla and the baking soda.
- Immediately pour the sugar mixture over the crackers and nuts and stir everthing together well.
- Bake for 60 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes.
- Remove the pan from the oven after an hour and spoon out onto wax paper or parchment paper to cool completely. Break apart and serve.
- If you feel compelled, drizzle melted candy melts over the top and add sprinkles.
- This can be stored in an air tight container for up to 10 days.