Yield: 2 – 3 servings
Prep Time: 45 – 60 minutes; 10 minutes with advance prep
2 medium beets, boiled, peeled, and sliced
1 navel or blood orange, peeled and diced
1 grapefruit or 1/2 pomelo, peeled and diced
1 avocado, peeled and sliced
2 teaspoons tahini
Juice of 1 lemon
2 teaspoons honey
4 cups arugula or mixed greens of your choice
1/2 cup walnuts, chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
1. In a small pot, cover beets with water and bring to a boil. Reduce to medium heat and simmer until tender, about 30 to 60 minutes depending on size.
2. Once beets are cooked completely, rinse them in cold water and trim the tips and stem. The skin should rub off easily; use a dark-colored damp towel to avoid stained hands. Slice peeled beets into small strips.
3. Peel and dice orange, grapefruit, and avocado. Set aside.
4. In a small bowl, whisk tahini, lemon juice, and honey until creamy. Add more lemon juice if necessary to reach desired consistency.
5. Toss beets, orange, grapefruit and avocado with rinsed salad greens. Top with chopped walnuts, drizzle dressing on top and add salt and pepper to taste. Serve up and enjoy!
Short on time? Pick up prepared beets in the refrigerated section of the grocery store, or at a salad bar, and you can prep this salad in about 10 minutes.