|Creamy Hatch Green Chile Soup|
When it comes to soups I can honestly say I love winging it. I like to look into the refrigerator and cupboards and see what I have on-hand that can be whipped up into a delicious soup. It was a little bit that way with this one.
I had just made several recipes for the Super Bowl using Hatch green chiles from The Hatch Chile Store and I had all manner of beautiful ingredients leftover, so I thought I'd mix them up into something delicious. This is that soup.
Creamy, spicy and flavorful, on a day like today (it's snowing for the umpteenth time here in Bethlehem, Pa) it warms you in more than one way. You can use olive oil in place of the butter and swap out low fat sour cream and cheese, as well, but the flavor will be altered slightly. You can also use vegetable stock instead of chicken, but again, the flavor will be a little different.
Creamy Hatch Green Chile Soup
Ready In: 30 minutes
1/4 cup butter
1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
1/2 cup chopped sweet onion
1 cup cup sliced green onions, white and green parts
1 cup Hot Frozen Chopped Hatch Green Chiles - thawed
1/2 cup all-purpose flour
6 cups chicken stock
1 Tablespoon freshly chopped cilantro
1/2 cup finely shredded cheddar cheese
1/2 cup Mexican crema or regular sour cream
1. In a heavy bottomed soup pot, melt butter over very low heat - you don't want it to brown.
2. Add all peppers and onions and cook over low heat for 10 minutes until vegetables are very soft but not browned. Stir often and keep an eye on them.
3. Stir in flour until well blended.
4. Slowly pour in stock, whisking all the while. Cook until thickened, about 10 more minutes.
5. Remove from heat and blend with an immersion blender until smooth.
6. Stir in cheese, cilantro and crema and whisk until well blended and smooth. Top with sliced green onion and more chopped cilantro if desired.