I always recommend using organic ingredients whenever they are available to you.
FOR THE SCONES:
- 1 3/4 cups, plus 3/4 tablespoon self-raising flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 cup vegan butter
- 1 3/4 tablespoons caster sugar/super fine sugar
- A pinch of salt
- 1/2 cup desiccated coconut
- 1 1/4 cups ripe mangoes, frozen or fresh
- 1/3 cup, plus 2 tablespoons non-dairy milk
FOR THE COMPOTE:
- 1 1/4 cups ripe mangoes
- 2 teaspoons caster sugar
- 1 teaspoon corn flour
- 1 tablespoon water/lemon juice
- Preheat the oven to 425°F.
- Sift the flour and baking powder into a bowl and rub in the butter with your fingertips until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Stir in the sugar, salt, coconut, and mangoes. Add the milk and mix to make a soft dough.
- Turn onto a floured surface and knead very lightly. Roll the dough into two circles, transfer the dough onto a baking tray then cut each circle into four. Bake in a preheated oven for 15-18 minutes until well risen and golden round the edges then leave to cool.
- Place all the ingredients in a small saucepan on a low heat. Squash most of the mangoes with the back of your spoon to release the juices and stir until thickened.
- Serve scones with coconut yogurt and mango compote.