We love Greek food, especially Gyros. This Gyro meat recipe is super easy, OMG delicious, and has become a household favorite. Thanks Alton Brown, you rock!
Easy Greek Gyro Meat Recipe
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 lb ground lamb
- 1 lb ground beef (93%)
- 1 1/2 Tbsp minced garlic
- 1 Tbsp marjoram
- 1 Tbsp rosemary, ground
- 1 tsp sea salt
- 1/2 - 1 tsp black pepper
- Preheat oven to 325.
- Process the onion to small chop. Remove from processor and press out the excess water. Return the onion and add all ingredients to the processor and pulse to a paste, scraping sides as needed.
- Press meat mixture into a loaf pan. Place loaf pan in a water bath. I used a 13 x 9 pan with about 1 inch of water.
- Bake for about an hour or until internal temp reaches 165.
- Remove from oven and drain off fat. (Alton Brown instructs to place a foil covered brick on top of the loaf. I didn't have one so I skipped this step) Allow to rest on a wire rack for 15 to 20 minutes or until meat is a manageable temperature for slicing.
- Fill pita bread with gyro meat, tomato, onion, kalamata olives, or your favorite Greek toppings, and crumbled Feta cheese. Finish with Tzatziki Sauce and serve.
I've prepared this recipe a bunch of times and have yet to try the brick weight. I would imagine the weight would improve the density of the finished loaf.
On my first attempt, the Gyro meat was a bit crumbly upon slicing. Second time I processed a little longer and found that to eliminate the crumbling problem.
Home made tzatziki sauce is always a winner here but in a pinch one could substitute with ready made tzatziki or cucumber ranch dressing mixed with a bit of greek yogurt.
Are you hungry? ♥