Let’s face it, content is still king! In 2017, having a business blogging strategy that entails value-rich content is what will capture engagement from your audience and make it more effective. According to the Content Marketing Institute, one of the major contributors to B2B marketers experiencing success this past year in their content strategy was due to producing higher quality and more efficient content.
Honing your content creation, along with other factors, will position you have a winning blogging strategy that continues to increase business exposure, improve SEO ranking, generate qualified leads, and bolster your online presence.
So how do you create a strong business blogging strategy? What components are necessary to produce high-quality content that appeals to your audience? Here are five key steps you can employ to build your blog plan for 2017.
5 Steps to Crafting Your 2017 Business Blogging Strategy
#1 Be Clear on Your Ultimate Goals
The first step ensures that your blogging aligns with your true business goals you have set for the year. You see, when you’re clear on your ultimate objectives and target audience, all of the content you generate (whether its blog posts, social media, videos, or eNewsletters) will be directed towards achieving that goal. It will serve as a guide to your blogging, which makes each article purposeful and intentional.
With that said, consider your business objectives. What do you want to accomplish this year? Increased revenue? Better leads? More social media followers? Whatever your goals blogging should be a part of helping you meet them.
Additionally, always keep in mind your target audience when creating your content. Seek to solve their problems, challenges, and address their pains so they see you as the solution. The best way to get super clear on your audience is by developing buyer personas.
#2 Maintain a Consistent Blogging Schedule
Consistency is the key to establishing a credible presence online. There’s so much expertise you have to offer to your audience…use your blog to do so, regularly. It’s highly suggested to utilize an editorial calendar where you can plan, organize, and schedule your content. Having a calendar allows you to plan in advance so you stay on top of your content game. It also gives you an overview so you can fill in the gaps where necessary with curated content.
The more you blog, the more traffic you generate to your site and boost opportunities for new leads. In fact, blogs that post daily generate 4 times more leads than those that posts weekly or less (Source: Right Marketing Mix). Also, 82% of marketers who blog daily acquired a customer using their blog, as opposed to 57% of marketers who blog monthly (Source: Hubspot). It pays to maintain a consistent schedule.
In addition to an editorial calendar, here are a few other helpful tools for an active blog presence:
- Evernote helps you document and save winning blog ideas that come to mind that you can revert to later
- NUVI allows you to publish your blog content on your social media networks, on one dashboard
- ContentIdeator Pro is useful in generating killer blog topic ideas that resonates with your audience
#3 Create Star Quality Content!
As mentioned, producing value-rich content is a must! With so much content is being published daily, you want yours to stand out from the masses. It needs to capture attention quickly, be engaging, piques the readers’ interest, and move them to action.
The following tactics outline how to create star quality content:
- Long-form content: These type performs extremely well in the search engines. It also allows you to delve deep into a topic and offer amazing value. Have a content schedule that supports articles with 2000+ words
- Enrich user experience with visuals: Multimedia like videos, images, and infographics improve website experience, making your content appealing to the eye. If you aim for a visual once every 75-100 words, you can better social media shares of your content
- Add interactive content: Calculators, podcasts, infographics, and slideshows gets your readers actively engaged in your content.
- Ask your audience for feedback: Discover the topics your audience wants to hear more of by doing an online survey or simply asking your list and followers on social media.
- Compelling headline: Your blog title is the first thing your viewers see and will base their opinion of your content simply on the headline. Make it intriguing and attractive. Use CoSchedule’s Headline Analyzer to help you craft winning blog titles
- Include CTA: Always tell the reader what to do next upon finishing your article. Do you want them to opt-into your list, share your post, or leave a comment? Leave one clear call-to-action every time!
- Leverage a professional: If you don’t have the time to create compelling blog content, hire content creators at WorkMarket to help you in your strategy
#4 Bolster SEO Tactics
Search engine optimization techniques positions your blog posts to be found on Google when your audience is looking for you. The better you optimize your content, the higher chances you’ll drive traffic from the search engines.
The good news with SEO is that there are tried and true approaches that have stood the length of time. By implementing these techniques, you’ll further optimize your blog posts to increase exposure:
- Rank for 1-2 long-tail keywords that your audience is actively searching for
- Google gives you an extra credit in mobile search when your blog is mobile-friendly, therefore make sure your site is ready to capitalize on this traffic
- Including visuals and interactive content keeps visitors on your site longer (dwell time), which significantly improves SEO
- Signal relevancy of your content to search engines by using keywords for your image file name, alt tag, title, description and caption. Including your keyword in these respective fields positions your visual to be found in the “Images” or “Videos” section of the SERP
- Sprinkle your keyword naturally throughout your post and include it in your headline (H1, H2 tags)
- Include reputable outbound links to better your SEO ranking
- Use marketing automation tools like Salesfusion to help you see how visitors are interacting with your content so you can make further adjustments
Your blog is an invaluable asset to your business; a multifaceted tool that can continue to build your credibility, fan and customer base, email list, and sales. The steps outlined will help better your blogging so it speaks to your audience and gets them to take action. Commit to implementing them and tell us how it’s going in the comments below!