So, it's not that warm out yet, but some of us like to fire up the grill as soon as temps reach 55. This chicken is a beautiful reason to get your grill heated up! Huli Huli Chicken is authentic Hawaiian cuisine and highly coveted, spurring Hawaiians and vacationers alike to spend weekends seeking out Huli Huli stands. Make your own at home and savor the taste of the islands in your own backyard. It's said the the real deal is grilled only, but I've included broiler instructions for year-round enjoyment.
Huli Huli Chicken
Hands-On Time: 10 minutes
Ready In: 40 minutes
2 whole chickens, split in half
1/4 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup ketchup
1/4 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup pineapple puree
2 cloves garlic - minced
1 1/2 inches ginger root - minced to a paste
2 Tablespoons rice wine vinegar
1. Combine marinade ingredients and stir until well blended.
2. Brush chicken halves with marinade and grill over medium-hot coals, turning once every 5 minutes and basting with marinade each time.
3. Grill for a total of 40 minutes.
1. Preheat broiler and put broiler pan on the lowest setting.
2. Broil chicken halves for 20 minutes, turning every 5 minutes.
3. Brush chickens with marinade and continue broiling, turning once every 5 minutes and basting with marinade, for another 20 minutes - 40 minutes total.