Position: St. Louis Cardinals Baseball Operations Fellowship
Location: Jupiter, Fla.
The St. Louis Cardinals baseball club is seeking candidates for a new Baseball Operations Fellowship position to be based out of the Jupiter, FL complex. The Fellowship position runs from early 2017 through December 31, 2017. It is a full-time position eligible for insurance consistent with a typical Cardinals full-time employee. Fellows will be compensated based on an hourly rate of pay competitive with similar entry level positions in baseball. This Fellowship position will be a one-year opportunity – Fellows will not return in the same position in 2018. At the end of the Fellowship, the Cardinals and Fellow will jointly determine if there is an appropriate opportunity for full-time employment within the Cardinals.
The Fellowship position is designed to provide entry-level baseball executives with an opportunity to gain experience mainly in the International and Player Development departments at the home of the Cardinals’ Spring Training, Extended Spring Training, Gulf Coast, Florida State, and Fall Instructional Leagues. While working at the direction of the Jupiter-based Directors of the International and Player Development departments, the Fellow will also provide occasional support to the St. Louis front office. This includes projects as called upon by senior leadership of Amateur Scouting, Baseball Development, and the General Manager’s office.
Responsibilities will be driven mostly by baseball activity taking place at the Jupiter complex and will be closely tied to interaction with Minor League players, many of which are international and require assistance in a foreign country. Native-level Spanish fluency is ideal with a high degree of proficiency as the minimum requirement. Duties will include, among others, serving as interpreter, translating documents, assisting on-field personnel with daily planning, supporting recently drafted players upon signing, maintenance of international scouting video, and organization of player immigration documents. Training will be provided for any scouting responsibilities associated with the role.
This is an exciting opportunity for entry-level people passionate about baseball and willing to start in a highly dynamic environment. The ideal candidate will have demonstrated a strong work ethic, deep enthusiasm for international baseball, and high intellect to quickly adapt and implement on the go. The Fellowship will provide such a candidate with a broad range of experiences across Baseball Operations and the possibility of full-time employment.
- Support Player Development Director with daily logistical player activity at Jupiter, Fla., complex.
- Support International Ops department with analysis of foreign markets and scouting system data entry.
- Support International and Player Development Directors in daily operation of departments.
- Assist coaches and players with language interpretation at various meetings and team events.
- Support St. Louis front office with projects as called upon by Amateur Scouting, Baseball Development, GM Office.
- Communicate effectively with baseball operations staff.
- Bachelor’s degree.
- Strong work ethic and initiative, demonstrated passion for baseball, good communication skills and ability to work effectively within team environment.
- Read, write, and speak Spanish.
- Experience and proficiency in Microsoft Office (Excel, PowerPoint and Word).
- Preferred candidates will have some experience around athletes either as player, coach, manager, SID, etc.
To apply, please email your resume with a cover letter and references to email@example.com by Thursday, December 15th.