Sponsored post by Mirum Shopper. All opinions are my own.
The holidays are here! With it comes cold weather, warm fireplaces, time with family and friends, and one-pot-meals. I make soup every week during this season for a few reasons: it’s super easy and has minimal clean-up, it’s a great way to get a ton of veggies into one meal, and there is nothing better during the winter!
This easy, creamy, healthy tomato soup has been a staple in our house for the past few weeks. Smoked paprika and cumin round out the sweetness of the tomatoes in this recipe; which substitutes spices, a touch of milk, and bold flavors for the cream in traditional creamy tomato soups. When the folks at Hunt’s tomatoes reached out to me to spread a bit of holiday cheer using their Non-GMO tomatoes, I knew this recipe would be absolutely perfect.
I love Hunt’s tomatoes because they are Non-GMO, Organic and they are peeled using FlashSteam instead of chemicals, and they’re available at every retailer from Walmart to your local grocery store. And who can resist this cute tomato snowman?
Thanks to these tomatoes, we ended up with a rich and thick soup that was only 74 calories per serving!
I served it up with some asparagus sautéed with lemon and pecorino and goat cheese crostini (two very easy side dishes)
It took 13 minutes of hands-on time, and 30 minutes until the soup had finished simmering away. Delicious, nutritious, easy, and fast! The husband (who can be picky about tomato soups) loved it.
Nutritional Info Per Serving: 74 Calories, 3.7g Fat (0.4g Saturated), 177mg Sodium, 6.6g Carbs, 1.4g Fiber, 0.5g Sugar, 1.6g Protein
- 1 tbsp organic canola oil
- 1.5 cups chopped red onion
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin
- 3/8 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp hot smoked paprika
- 4 minced garlic cloves
- 28 oz can diced unsalted tomatoes
- 1/2 to 1 cup vegetable stock (depending on how thick you like your soups)
- 1/4 cup whole milk
- optional: fresh parsley, shaved parmesan cheese, and black pepper for garnish
- Heat a medium saucepan over medium heat. Add 1 tbsp canola oil, add 1.5 cups chopped red onion, 1/2 tsp ground cumin, 3/8 tsp salt, 1/4 tsp hot smoked paprika to the pan, cook 8 minutes, stirring. Increase heat to medium high.
- Add 4 minced garlic cloves, saute 1 min.
- Add 28 oz can diced tomatoes, undrained, and 1/2 cup vegetable stock (add more if you want a thinner soup). Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, simmer 15 min.
- Remove from heat, stir in 1/4 cup whole milk.
- Use an immersion blender to blend the soup to the consistency you like. Optional: top with fresh parsley, shaved parmesan cheese, and black pepper.
Adapted from CookingLight.com