These plum-banana breakfast squares are the result of wanting to use up some of the abundance of a backyard plum harvest. I will also be making a plum upside-down cake to take to Church tomorrow (but not a very healthy recipe, so it won't be on this blog).
We will use some of these plums today:
I love these little orbs of sunshine. I call them "Little Golden Plums" although I know they must have a proper scientific name.
You can use any sort/named plum but make sure you remove the stone when prepping them.
Set the Oven for 350 degrees Fahrenheit, or about 180 C.
Make your flaxseed or chia seed egg:
· 1 tbsp ground Flaxseed or Chia Seed + 3 tbsp water- whisk up together and set aside until it is the consistency of whisked egg white, creamy and sticky (about 10-15 minutes)
Add the flaxseed/chiaseed egg to the following in your food processor:
· 1 tsp pure Vanilla extract
· 2 cup Oat Flour (use certified gluten-free oats if necessary- I ground mine up in the Vitamix)
· 3/4 cup Coconut sugar (or sweetener of choice)
* 1 tsp Baking Soda
· After whirling the above together, pour into a medium size bowl and mix in:
· 1 cup fresh Plums, chopped into quarters
Spoon or pour the above into an 8x8 pan, either lined with parchment (my preference) or sprayed with cooking oil.
Bake for about 25 - 30 minutes.
Remove and cool right in the pan on a rack (the cooler the better to keep its shape). Cut into squares and serve when cool.
Cake for break-y anyone??
Here are a couple of other nutritious breakfast treats that are vegan, low fat, and very tasty: