If you are a lover of "world"-style breads (as in, 'ethnic') you will love this recipe for gluten-free lentil-rice-chia flatbread. I promise.
When you are trying to follow a gluten-free lifestyle you know how frustrating it is to walk into a store and see all the yummy wheat-flour products that your mouth remembers so well... Yes, I have attempted to make many gluten versions of my fave wheat breads and buns, etc. When I am hungry enough, I can almost fool myself into believing that X tastes just like "real" bread.
And then there are all the 'store-bought' GF breads... let's just say that some are better than others. But they are expensive (ALL of them)and I ALWAYS think to myself that I could make a GF bread that was at least as good as "XYZ" if I just played around with the ingredients.
I am currently attempting to keep my diet GF, vegan, AND low yeast/low glycemic. Yes, you ARE lucky not to be me. And, YES, I did google it and baked for about four mornings before arriving at today's absolutely delicious GF flatbread using a combination of organic brown rice, organic chia seeds, and organic red lentils.
How does it taste? (i.e., Really taste)
How Do I Make This Perfect Gluten-Free Lentil-Brown Rice-Chia Flat Bread?
- 1 C. Brown Rice (or 1 C. Brown Rice Flour)
- 1 C. Red Lentils
- 1/2 C. Chia Seed
- 1 tsp. Fenugreek
- 1 tsp. Turmeric
- 1 T. Coconut Oil
- 1 tsp. Celtic Sea Salt (or to taste)
- 2-4 Parchment Circles (about the size of a small dinner plate)
- NOTE: PSYLLIUM NOT NEEDED-- JUST IN THE SHOT FOR A PHOTO OPP.
- GRIND Brown Rice in Blender or Flour Mill
- GRIND Chia Seed in Blender or Coffee Bean Grinder
- COMBINE Brown Rice Flour, Chia Flour, Fenugreek and Turmeric in a large bowl
- COVER ABOVE with filtered Water (about 2" above flour)
- COVER WITH LID or plastic and set aside
- COVER Red Lentils with filtered Water (do not grind. In separate bowl from Flours)
- COMBINE Flour and Chia Seeds in Blender and process until smooth-- should be like pancake batter
- ADD more water if needed to process
- STIR Salt (gently) into batter
- PREHEAT oven to 400F/205C
- HEAT PIZZA STONE in the oven (or heavy cookie sheet)
- GREASE 2 Parchment Rounds and pour our about Pancake size pool of batter on rounds
- Using PIZZA PEEL or ?? (Bare hands) slip the rounds onto the heated stones
- Remove and cool on rack when top is golden brown, and a little darker around edges. Parchment should peel off easily.
- You can add chopped onion, garlic, sundried tomato, etc. to the batter before baking if you wish
- Eat with favourite salad or curry-type stuffing; Store in plastic bag in fridge when completely cool.
- Makes about 6-8 large pancake size flatbreads