A bowl of this delectable Russian potato-green bean-sauerkraut soup (or borscht) will satisfy your tastebuds and your need for something warming and filling on a cold fall or winter evening. I have vegan-ized the recipe to eliminate any animal products and use an easy-peasy cashew sour cream recipe that you can find on our Veggie School site HERE, or feel free to use a commercial vegan sour cream (or even the real stuff if you are flexitarian). There is no flour thickener, so no worries about gluten.
- 1 T. Coconut Oil (or veggie oil of choice)
- 1 large or 2 medium Onions, cut in half and sliced thin
- 2 C. Green Beans, cut in small pieces or left large
- 3 large Potatoes, peeled and cubed (or unpeeled red potatoes)
- 5 C. filtered Water or vegetable broth
- 1 T. dried Dill (or fresh, slightly more)
- 1/2 C. Cashew Sour Cream recipe (cashew pieces, lemon juice, water, coconut oil)
- 3/4 C. Sauerkraut and Juice
- Salt and/or Pepper, to your taste
- Heat oil in heavy pot and saute Onions for about 5 minutes.
- Add Green Beans and Potatoes and stir cook for about another 5 minutes
- Add Water and Dill and bring to a boil. Turn down to a simmer (low-medium) and cook for about 15 minutes or until beans are tender and limp.
- Spoon in the Sour Cream, and mix gently until spread throughout
- Add Sauerkraut and simmer on low until fragrant (about 5 more minutes)
- Add salt and/or pepper