This recipe for Simple Leek-Sweet Potato Soup is easy to pull together (the only thing you might not have on hand is the leeks or sweet potatoes) and easy to digest-- particularly comforting if you have been over-indulging in rich food over the holiday. Enjoy!
1/2 C. Water
1 large Onion, finely chopped
3 cloves Garlic, crushed
3 large Leeks, sliced into rounds
2 heaped tsp ground Cumin
1 thumb-size piece of organic Ginger, grated
1 litre Vegetable Stock or Water
4 Sweet Potatoes, peeled and chopped
2 C/400 ml. of Coconut or Nut Mylk
Salt, and freshly ground Pepper
1. Bring water to boil in a large saucepan. Add the onions and cook for 2-3 minutes, stirring now and then.
2. Add the garlic and leek and cook gently for 3-4 minutes, stirring often. Mix in the cumin and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
3. Add the grated ginger, then the stock or water. Bring to the boil, then reduce the heat to a simmer. Simmer for 5 minutes.
4. Add the sweet potato, cover the pan and simmer for 10 minutes until the sweet potato is soft. PureeWhirl the soup using a high speed blender or with an immersion blender until smooth.
5. Gently reheat the soup stirring in the coconut milk. Season with salt and freshly ground pepper.